Monday, March 12, 2007

First Day in Italy - Rome

So, we made it. We actually made it a week ago, but I'm just now able to sit down and write about things. My cousin Erin and I came over from DC together and spent the first week tooling around Italy. First stop: Rome.

We got into Rome at 8:30 in the morning, immediately took the train to the Termini and headed to Hostel #1. It wasn't far from the station, but I still managed to get turned around. Then, as was the case all week, we trudged up four flights of stairs to our lodging for the day. We dropped stuff off and went exploring. I successfully maneuvered the Rome metro system throughout the day and our first stop was the Colosseum, where we got very overpriced street sandwiches and bottled water. But we enjoyed them outside of centuries-old ruins in the heat of very welcoming sunlight, and I was not about to complain.

We then took off for the Spanish steps and Trevi fountain. Again, I felt triumphant getting around the city. We wandered around the very old step leading up to the French church Trinita dei Monti and looked at Bernini's dad's sunken ship fountain. Both times I have been here the place was teeming with tourists and people selling bubble machines, purses and random toys that make noise and dance around. We headed down Via dei Condotti where we picked up a few things from Armani, Gucci, Dolce e Gabanna and the like. Inexpensive essentials for any trip abroad. We went to the Trevi fountain and Erin threw in a coin to make a wish on, and to ensure her return to Rome. The last time I tried the wind was blowing gale force, and I couldn't make it in the fountain. I'm back in Rome, so I decided I didn't need any luck to get me back to this country.

We wandered and walked and stopped and wandered, and by about four it was time to call it quits. We didn't get a chance to see much in Rome, but recuperation was necessary. So we went to our first real meal in Italy, and it was here that I discovered a secret: Italian men love blondes. Erin was a magnet all week long! It started in the restaurant. I started out the ordering process in Italian, and by the end of the meal our waiter was talking exclusively to Erin in English. He called her a princess, asked what we (him included) were doing tonight and bought us a beer. He was very sad to find out that we were planning to fall asleep before most Italians eat dinner, but it was necessary. We assured him we would be back with absolutely no intention of returning, and Erin walked out laughing. Needless to say, it was awesome having her around. :) Erin sampled her first gelato, of which she was a fan, and we crashed.

Photos aren't working on here for some reason, so I uploaded snapfish photos.

No comments: